The Australian Women's Group (AWG) Bangkok was formed in 1954 as a social support group with a welfare focus. The few New Zealand ladies in Bangkok at the time also joined in and the group quickly became the Australian-New Zealand Women's Group (ANZWG).
In 1955, the first Australian Ambassador was appointed to Thailand and his wife, Mrs Alison Hay, became the first Chair of ANZWG. The Australian Ambassadors' wives remained Chair of the group until 1975, when a President was elected and the Ambassador's wife became a patron.
In 1958 the New Zealand community in Bangkok had increased significantly and the women formed their own group and AWG once again came into being. In 1975 the members of the New Zealand Women's Group were voted in as associate members of AWG. In 1983 AWG and NZWG merged to become one - ANZWG.
ANZWG is supported by multi-talented volunteers who provide their time and resources to assist with ANZWG’s primary goals of generating friendships, being an invaluable source of information and support to those families living in Bangkok. In addition ANZWG aims to facilitate support for many women and children in Thailand that are not as fortunate as themselves.