Work with Us
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
The Australian-Thai Chamber of Commerce (AustCham) is above all a business Chamber that is responsible for the promotion of our members’ businesses and Australian-Thai bilateral trade and investment relationship.
Australia as a nation pride itself on being inclusive and welcoming. AustCham embraces these values so membership is open to any business or individual with an interest in Australian-Thai commerce.
One of the greatest values of a business chamber is its ability to make connections and AustCham is without a doubt one of the best in Thailand. Our monthly business networking events are legendary, routinely bringing together around 200 executives at some of the best locations in town.
AustCham also has a valuable community role. We are a focal point for the Australian (and broader) expatriate community in Thailand and an important bridge into the Thai community.
The Executive Director:
Overall management and operations of the chamber are the responsibility of the Executive Director. The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors of the Australian Chamber of Commerce and is responsible for the day-to-day management of AustCham.
The successful applicant will exhibit the following abilities:
- Awareness/understanding of the Thai & Australian business and political environment;
- Ability and/or experience in liaising with government and semi-government bodies;
- Well developed organisational skills, including ability to organize large functions;
- Highly developed interpersonal skills, including some experience in public relations;
- Ability and/or experience in writing and editing of articles for publication;
- Experience in working of budgetary and financial matters
The successful applicant will ideally have the following qualifications:
- Experience in either business, management, non-profit organisations, sales, public relations, marketing, and/or special events planning, developing and managing member programs, working with leaders, and establishing strong community involvement at the leadership level.
- The ability to work independently, responsibly and exercise good decision-making skills is a must. This position will require someone who is professional at all times, as well as flexible and diplomatic.
- Computer experience will be necessary where the candidate is familiar with using Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint and website management.
- Personal qualities include integrity, commitment to the business community and the ability to inspire and motivate others.
General responsibilities of the position:
Strategy, governance and management
- Play an active role in defining and implementing the Chamber’s Business strategy as approved by the Board of Directors
- Take a lead role planning and preparing Board meetings (including sub-committees and special projects)
- Oversee the day-to-day management of the Chamber in accordance with the constitutional By-Laws
- Aim to constantly improve the effectiveness of the Chamber
- Implementing policies and regulations assigned by the directors
- Oversee / negotiate all leases, purchases, and contracts
Stakeholder relationship management:
- Regularly engage with members, sponsors, the Australian Embassy, Thai and Australian organisations (including Board of Trade and Board of Investment), Alumni, other Chambers in the region
- Support and promote positive relations between the Chamber and local business/industry.
- Coordinate representation of the Chamber to legislative bodies and other groups.
- Understand and deliver on sponsor expectations
- Lay the necessary foundations to achieve sponsorship goals
- Play an active role in sponsorship acquisition for events
Chamber profile and communications:
- Oversee / edit all marketing / communications for the Chamber
- Contribute articles for Advance Magazine
- Develop and implement effective strategies which promote AustCham’s image as a business-oriented Chamber that is inclusive, innovative, modern and responsive
- Represent AustCham at other Chamber meetings and events
- Promote AustCham membership and member benefits whenever possible
- Play an active role in welcoming new members
- Maintain relationships with existing members
- Analyse and interpret the needs of members and recommend strategies which increase member satisfaction and offer greater value for members
- Attend all Chamber events
- Provide oversight (as needed) for event management
- Ensure all events achieve financial and satisfaction goals
- Effectively manage the expectation of existing grants
- Identify new funding opportunities and develop submissions
- Assist the office manager to prepare the annual budget for approval by the board of directors
- Work within the budget to achieve income and expenditure targets
- Considering new ways to achieve revenue growth, increased profit and save on expenses
Corporate social responsibility
- Work alongside the CSR committee to review the Chambers CSR activities
- Represent the Chamber at various CSR events / activities offered by the Chamber
- Provide leadership to a small but busy team of up to 8 employees
- Contribute to a work environment which is friendly, collaborative, supportive, innovative and efficient
- Respond to all inquiries – (phone, mail, email, walk-ins) in a timely manner
Performance KPIs include, but not limited to, for 2023 :
- Member numbers to exceed 410 active members on going for at least 3 months (current 405)
- All Sundowner events to have Event & Corporate Sponsors
- Annual Budget achievement
- Sponsorship members retention at least >95%
- Office staff retention to be maintained in 2023
This is a very important position, and the successful applicant will need to display a commitment to members and the development of AustCham.
Australian-Thai Chamber of Commerce
2nd Floor, Room no. 211, 92/5 Sathorn Thani Tower II,
North Sathorn Road, Silom, Bangrak, Bangkok 10500
(Business Hours: Mon-Fri 09.00 AM-5.00 PM)