Advance Blog

November 22, 2021
Grant Thornton

Looking ahead at Thailand’s New Business Landscape

As Thailand cautiously reopens its doors to the outside world, businesses around the country are preparing their strategies for recovery and growth. Effective planning, however, requires an understanding of the business landscape moving forward – and new research is shining an important light on the shape of things to come.

The recent Fitch Ratings report on Thailand provides important macroeconomic context for the months ahead, while the forthcoming Grant Thornton International Business Report (IBR) will be a key indicator of business perspectives heading into 2022. Here we summarise some of the key insights, particularly from the Fitch data, with additional commentary by the team at Grant Thornton, a leading audit firm in Thailand.

International Trends

According to Fitch, worldwide GDP is on track to increase by 6% in 2021 – with growth trends limited by the spread of the COVID-19 Delta variant, which kept many businesses closed and disrupted supply chains.

Further analysis by Grant Thornton in Thailand highlighted onerous government regulations, and a lack of accessible finance, as additional stumbling blocks for businesses. CEO and Managing Partner Ian Pascoe advises businesses to strategise with these difficulties in mind. “Businesses should re-stock their warehouses early and often in order to pre-empt delays, while also making internal adjustments to increase liquidity,” he said.

Expectations for APAC

Fitch projects growth across APAC to average 6.3% in 2021, and 5.3% in 2022, with Taiwan and China taking the lead due to their success in containing the virus.

Grant Thornton Tax & Legal Partner Tanva Mahitivanichcha notes the potential impacts of an uneven recovery across the region. “As countries like the Philippines, Indonesia, and Vietnam continue to lose time battling the virus, investors across APAC will instead pursue attractive opportunities in the faster recovering countries,” he said. “This trend could magnify the head start enjoyed by countries that have already vaccinated their populations, while a lack of investment makes liquidity even harder to access in the nations that are still struggling.”

The Outlook for Thailand

Thailand’s recovery has thus far proceeded more slowly than anticipated, with the Finance Ministry recently revising its 2021 GDP growth projection down to just 1%. Still, with tourism and exports beginning to rebound, the overall economy is expected to increase by a 3% rate in Q4, followed by 4% in 2022.

Analysis from our audit firm in Thailand indicates that such growth is indeed possible – provided the government raises its domestic spending and provides real private sector support through stimulus packages. An ageing population and high household debt remain indicators to watch out for, as hope for a speedy recovery depends in large part on robust consumer spending.

Retaking Control

Chris Cracknell, Chairman of Grant Thornton in Thailand, reminds businesses that external trends do not dictate destiny. “Well-run companies in stagnant industries can still perform well, just as poorly run companies in growing industries will tend to fall behind,” he said. “External variables like GDP are undoubtedly important, but business leaders should spend more time focusing on things they actually can control – like their own company’s strategy, structure, and operations.”

For expert guidance during the post-pandemic recovery, contact Grant Thornton today.

Grant Thornton

Thailand’s Personal Data Protection Act B.E. 2562 (2019) (“PDPA”)

As the Personal Data Protection Act (PDPA) also applies to personal data collected prior to the PDPA’s entry into force, please be informed that AustCham Thailand will automatically keep your contact details including email address, name and last name, and company details, on our mailing list.

Your data was received by AustCham Thailand as a result from you either registering or attending an event, contacting our office or subscribing to regular updates via the website. However, if you would like to stop receiving emails AustCham Thailand and revoke your consent for AustCham to keep and use your data to contact you for chamber events and updates, please scroll down to the end of this email and click “Unsubscribe from this list”. Your personal data will be shortly deleted once the opt-out notice request is received.

Please note that your data is kept in AustCham’s CRM system, please see here for AustCham’s Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. AustCham uses a management software system from Wild Apricot, and emails are distributed through MailChimp.